In order to gather public contributions and feedback for the mural design, a community exhibition was held at the Orchards Project/ Spark Gallery during April and May 2019. The greater community and key stakeholders were invited to visit the gallery and view the project. They were encouraged to participate by making their mark against the temporary wall.
The gallery was open from 11am-4pm Monday to Saturday, excluding the Easter Weekend. We had facilitators in the gallery who would give visitors a walkabout and engage them in a discussion. All comments and feedback were recorded in a comment book. A daily register of visitors was also taken. All the input from the public over this time was recorded and considered for the final design.
Within this exhibition, a number of activations happened, such as:
- Artist team painting at Tipper Space 29th-31st March
- Community Workshop Open Day and Live Painting 13 April
- Workshops (Gateway Psychiatric Residence)
- Workshops (Local children)
- Jo’burg Photo Walkers Workshop